Monday, April 4, 2011
DRUGS – Sex Life – Goofy name, catchy song.
Innerpartysystem – American Trash – Sleazy electro rock American pride!
Middle Class Rut – New Low – Slow/methodical rock – oddly catchy.
Middle Class Rut – USA – Pure bombast. Loud and awesome!
Say Hi – Take Ya Dancing – Upbeat/simple fun. About dancing.
Say Hi – All the Pretty Ones – Chorus works excellently – moody pop-rock!
Does It Offend You Yeah? - Tear Out My Insides – Insanely catchy electronic love song.
Cant find a stream – sorry!
Does it Offend You Yeah? – We Are the Dead – Starts quiet, gets loud quickly.
Teenage Bottlerocket – Bigger Than Kiss – Punk rock perfection. AMAZING video.
Teenage Bottlerocket – Not Ok – More punk rock perfection. Superb.
Forever the Sickest Kids – Robots and Aliens – Stupidly catch pop punk. Bubbly.
Forever the Sickest Kids – Same Dumb Excuse – Slower still as poppy/catchy.
Yoav (featuring Emily Browning) – Where is My Mind (from The Sucker Punch OST) – Hauntingly good cover. Better then the original.
USS – NA OK – Slow downed, yet still great.
Bjork (featuring Skunk Anansie)– Army of Me (SUCKER PUNCH REMIX) – More Sucker Punch! Great OST.
Thursday, March 3, 2011
White Lies – Power and the Glory – Hell of a builder. Starts off slow and builds to something huge. I think I listened to this song 15 times straight when I first “got” it.
Cold War Kids – Mine is Yours – I could have picked about 5 songs off this album of the year contender, but this sunny opener really struck a chord with me, it just makes me feel happy.
Cold War Kids – Flying Upside Down - CWK really went for it on the new album, and traded in some of their less interesting traits and went for EPIC. Love this song, it’s going to be one of my favourites by the end of the year.
Fitz and the Tantrums – Moneygrabber – The rest of the album was bland to me, but this first single is blowing up everywhere, for good reason – the chrous gets me every time
Gang of Four - She Said 'You Made A Thing Of Me' – Wasn’t a huge fan of the album, but this song caught my attention enough to get some plays. Shockingly boring album from the post-punk legends.
Skrillex – Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites (Original Mix) – The term dubstep gets tossed around a lot, and I’ll be honest I have no clue what it means, but it’s amazing that Sonny Moore went from the bland-screamo of From First to Last, to making this insane/catchy/spastic electronic music.
Skrillex – Kill Everybody (Original Mix) – More menacing then the last song (as the title would suggest), but equally as interesting and catchy.
Wiz Khalifa – Black and Yellow – What can I say, this song is so catchy it caught even me. Mock it, but there’s a reason why it got so big.
Naked and Famous – Punching in a Dream – Much like last month’s “Young Blood”, this song is spastic yet dreamy, and stupidly catchy pop-rock, from this poorly named band.
Peter, Bjorn, and John – Tomorrow Has to Wait – Remember “Young Folks”? More of the same, minus the whistling – just great pop music.
Bo Burnham – Words Words Words – Bo is a comedian that also dabbles in music, and everything I’ve heard has been both catchy and hilarious. May not be to everyone’s taste, but if you like this kind of stuff, you’ll love it.
Bo Burnham – Oh Bo – More play on words and rhyming joke rap stuff, I love it. The genius is in how simplistically catchy it is while still being funny.
Local Natives – World News – Their disc was really well done, but it tends to blend together with a lot of the songs sounding similar, for whatever reason, this is the one that stood out for me. Give them a listen!
British Sea Power – Mongk 2 – More frantic/distorted/chaotic then the rest of their stuff, it’s still a superb song.
British Sea Power – Heavy Water – It’s a shame I can’t find a link for this song, since it’s the best on the album, a feel good closer to a huge and amazing album.
Couldnt Find a Link – Drats!
Bayside – Sick Sick Sick – Perfect example of what Bayside does, and how they do it so well. Catchy charging rock with unique vocals and great guitar lines.
Bayside – Mona Lisa – More slowed down, but just as fun. Bayside have been one of the most reliable bands in recent years. Four albums since 2007 and all of them ranging from good to extroardinary.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Hey, this is a toned down version of what I used to do; a monthly list of songs people may or may not like or even be aware of. Each month
In no order, here are the songs I listened to the most in January 2011:
Get Busy Committee – I Don’t Care About You – I blame Blake. Listen at your own risk, as it’ll infect your brain for a while. Ridiculously catchy hip-hop.
Kanye West and Jay Z – H.A.M. – Vulgar as anything I’ve heard in awhile, but the beats unique/catchy, and anything Kanye does is worth multiple listens in my book.
The Naked and Famous – Young Blood – Mix MGMT with M83 and you’ve got this song. Which is awesome. Fantasy-pop?
Crystal Castles – Not In Love (FEAT. Robert Smith) – Another relentlessly catchy song that’s blowing up all over rock stations, for a good reason. Great song.
Chiddy Bang – Opposite of Adults – Note to rappers, if you rap over an indie/rock song I love (See: Lupe Fiasco “Show Goes On”) it’s guaranteed to be a hit with me. Is there no end to the greatness that is MGMT’s Kids?
White Lies – Bigger Than Us – Grandiose and gothic epic rock. Think Interpol, but British and more consistent/great in the last 4 years.
White Lies – Is Love – Bit of a slow builder, but just as great as the first single (the previously mentioned “Bigger Than Us”) – so far
Finch – World of Violence – A good song by a “good at best” band, who released a great album nearly ten years ago. RIP FINCH.
Glassjaw – All Good Junkies Go To Heaven – Off their upcoming album, its oddly catchy, in a weird/grating kind of way. Works for me, probably wont for most people.
The Hold Steady – The Weekenders – How did I sleep on “Heaven is Whenever” last year? It’s a great album and this is my favourite song off the album.
The Hold Steady – Hurricane J – Another great single off the album, THS are kind of like a wordier, perpetually drunk cousin of Bruce Springsteen.
Death Death Die – The Woodsman – It’s a shame I cannot find a link to this song. It’s the perfect synth-metal theme song for an 80’s cheesy horror film.
Death Death Die – Put
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross – In the Hall of the Mountain King – If you haven’t seen “The Social Network,” go out and do it, since the film’s great, and the score is even better. If you have seen it, then this is the song that’s over the boat race scene in
The Damned Things – We’ve Got a Situation Here – What do you get when you mix members of Fallout Boy, Everytime I Die, and Anthrax? A great song, with a superb video- make sure to watch it!
Cage the Elephant – Shake Me Down – Kind of tame and quiet for CTF, but its sombre tone is a change of pace, and I’ve liked this single for as long as I’ve heard it on the radio.
Cage the Elephant –
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Top 25 Albums of 2010
1. The Arcade Fire - The Suburbs - By far and a way the best album this year. Easily my favourite this year, and one of my favourite albums ever. You either love them or hate them, so I won't even try explaining it, either you already know how awesome it is, or hate them based on one song you heard 2 years ago. Whatever, it's perfect in my eyes. Argument starter: "The Suburbs" is their best album! GASP!
2. Kanye West - My Dark Twisted Beautiful Fantasy - Artist of the year, for sure, even for his awesome rants and twitter feed. Plus it helps that Kanye makes rap music for people who hate rap, and damn if it isn't great stuff.
3. Kid Cudi - Man on Moon 2 - It's not quite rap, not quite rock, not quite R&B. It's a hard thing to nail down, and I didnt love it at first, but it's a real grower, and an album you can listen to front to back over and over.
4. Matt & Kim - Sidewalks - Pure poppy fun. Simple, yet original. Every song is a 2-4 minute long blast of pop rock fun. Love this album, it makes me happy as a hobo in a whore-house.
5. Crime In Stereo - I Was Trying to Describe You to Someone - A hell of a swan song. CiS wrote their best album yet, and then broke up within a year of putting it out. Quiet-Loud perfection.
6. Jimmy Eat World - Invented - At this point, I love any JEW album, even if they follow a fairly strict formula. That said, the second half of this album is great, and the first part is full of great pop-rock tunes.
7. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles 2 - Give Crystal Castles a listen (any of the songs listed in my 100 songs), if you can stand more then 30 seconds, you'll love the album. If you can't, don't even bother to try.
8. Klaxons - Surfing the Void - Don't you hate asinine genres like "Nu-Rave"? Yeah me too, and so do the Klaxons. Thankfully this album is an amazing mix of prog, metal, electronic, and awesomeness. Heavy at times, catchy at others, I love it.
9. The National - High Violet - Sadness and depression never sounded so uplifting. I love the vocals, and despite being so damned sorrowful (THEY HAVE A SONG TITLED SORROW ON THIS ALBUM), it somehow lifts me up every time.
10. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record - Canada's greatest jam band, who somehow make that title not douchey and awful. Another great album in an amazing discography. You can get lost in this album, its hypnotic but somehow each song stands out on it's own. Amazing live show too!
11. Against Me! - White Crosses - Not as great as "New Wave" but no one does punk rock as rocky and poppy as AM! and I love them for that. (PS: If you liked their old stuff, then yeah, I get it, you hate me for liking this album, whatever).
12. Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life - Forgot how good this was since it came out so early in the year. They've matured into a great band, poppy and rocky, with some awesome lyrics.
13. Tokyo Police Club - Champ - Have to love it when "buzz" bands live up to the hype and turn into awesome bands who put out great albums. TPC, good work.
14. The Futureheads - The Chaos - Sometimes rock and roll should just be played fast and hard. This album is proof. Nothing fancy. Just rock and roll - done quickly.
15. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening - Doesn't live up to the perfection of "Sound of Silver", but still great nonetheless. I'm not sure if it's unique or not, but nobody else does this kind of music this well.
16. Jonsi - Go - Sigur Ros goes pop/dance. Love it. Most people won't like it. Epic yet catchy, what more could I want?
17. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise - Grown up emo with some fire. Never been a huge fan, but this album is great, all the way through.
18. The Automatic - Tear the Signs Down - They toned down the abrasiveness and made their sound catchier and it worked out well; really enjoyable disc.
19. Vampire Weekend - Contra - See the note about Tokyo Police Club and hype, and magnify it by ten. Wanted to hate this album, but couldn't; it's that good.
20. Hot Chip - One life Stand - Consistently great band. More British electro-pop hustle and fire! (No clue what that means either)
21. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
22. Foals - Total Life Forever
23. My Chemical Romance - Danger Days
24. Mumford and Songs - Sigh No More
25. We Are Scientists - Barbara
1. The Whigs - Kill Me Carolyne (3:22)
2. Mumford & Sons - The Cave (3:38)
3. Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun (4:46)
4. Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On (4:00)
5. Kanye West - All Of The Lights (4:59)
6. Arcade Fire - Ready To Start (4:15)
7. Matt & Kim - Cameras (3:32)
8. The Automatic - Interstate (3:34)
9. Down With Webster - Your Man (2:48)
10. Crime in Stereo - I Am Everything I Am Not (3:56)
11. The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio (4:36)
12. We Were Promised Jetpacks - Quiet Little Voices (4:21)
13. LostProphets - Where We Belong (4:37)
14. Arcade Fire - We Used To Wait (5:01)
15. Broken Social Scene - Meet Me in the Basement (3:44)
16. Against Me! - I Was a Teenage Anarchist (3:13)
17. Alkaline Trio - This Addiction (2:34)
18. I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business - Baby Steps (3:17)
19. Crystal Castles - Empathy (4:11)
20. LCD Soundsystem - You Wanted A Hit (9:12)
21. The Futureheads - Sun Goes Down (3:52)
22. Jimmy Eat World - Mixtape (6:31)
23. Jónsi - Around Us (5:18)
24. Klaxons - Venusia (4:07)
25. Crime in Stereo - Drugwolf (3:53)
26. Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) (5:25)
27. The Automatic - Sweat Heat Noise (3:20)
28. Angels & Airwaves - Young London (5:03)
29. The Chemical Brothers - Escape Velocity (11:56)
30. Linkin Park - Blackout (4:39)
31. Kanye West - Power (4:52)
32. Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man (4:07)
33. Matt & Kim - Good For Great (3:50)
34. The Gaslight Anthem - We Did It When We Were Young (4:16)
35. Wolf Parade - Ghost Pressure (5:16)
36. Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em (2:56)
37. My Chemical Romance - Planetary (GO!) (4:06)
38. Kanye West - Runaway (feat. Pusha T) (9:07)
39. Kid Cudi - Mr. Rager (4:54)
40. Tokyo Police Club - Favourite Food (3:55)
41. Crystal Castles - Celestica (3:47)
42. The National - Sorrow (3:25)
43. Jimmy Eat World - Higher Devotion (3:02)
44. Deftones - Rocket Skates (4:12)
45. Teddybears - Chrystal Meth Christian (Feat Flaming Lips)
46. Holy Fuck - Stilettos (3:55)
47. Hot Chip - I Feel Better (4:41)
48. Anberlin - You Belong Here (4:22)
49. Arcade Fire - Rococo (3:56)
50. Kid Cudi - Marijuana (4:20)
51. 30H!3 - R.I.P. (3:44)
52. B.o.B - Airplanes (feat. Hayley Williams of Paramore) (3:01)
53. The Audition - The Art Of Living (3:00)
54. Mumford & Sons - Winter Winds (3:39)
55. The Futureheads - Heartbeat Song (2:29)
56. Motion City Soundtrack - Pulp Fiction (3:53)
57. Foals - Total Life Forever (3:18)
58. Kings Of Leon - Radioactive (3:26)
59. Vampire Weekend - Cousins (2:25)
60. LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean (8:58)
61. Stars - Dead Hearts (3:29)
62. Tokyo Police Club - Bambi (2:46)
63. Interpol - Lights (5:37)
64. Jimmy Eat World - Evidence (4:40)
65. Arcade Fire - Half Light II (No Celebration) (4:27)
66. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang (3:41)
67. Circa Survive - I Felt Free (3:56)
68. My Chemical Romance - DESTROYA (4:32)
69. Broken Social Scene - Texico Bitches (3:50)
70. OK Go - This Too Shall Pass (3:08)
71. Devo - What We Do (3:17)
72. Tokyo Police Club - Breakneck Speed (3:44)
73. Circa Survive - Glass Arrows (4:12)
74. Klaxons - The Same Space (3:11)
75. My Chemical Romance - Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na) (3:25)
76. Down With Webster - Miracle Mile (3:39)
77. Matt & Kim - Silver Tiles (3:36)
78. Kanye West - Lost In The World (feat. Bon Iver) (4:16)
79. Broken Social Scene - Sentimental X's (5:41)
80. Kate Nash - Paris (3:06)
81. Crystal Castles - Baptism (4:12)
82. Stars - Fixed (3:25)
83. The Bravery - Hatefuck (2:56)
84. Far - Deafening (3:10)
85. Linkin Park - The Catalyst (5:39)
86. Terrible Things - Revolution (3:30)
87. Weezer - Ruling Me (3:29)
88. We Are Scientists - Pittsburgh (4:27)
89. Forever The Sickest Kids - Do Or Die (3:17)
90. Senses Fail - Landslide (3:45)
91. Jónsi - Animal Arithmetic (3:23)
92. Jimmy Eat World - My Best Theory (3:23)
93. Kele - Tenderoni (4:32)
94. The Maine - Dont Stop Now (3:36)
95. Enter Shikari - Tribalism (5:05)
96. Foals - Black Gold (6:26)
97. Hawthorne Heights - Drive (3:06)
98. Athlete - Superhuman Touch (3:58)
99. I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business - Sleep Means Sleeping (4:37)
100. Interpol - Barricade (4:10)