Thursday, January 9, 2014
Thursday, January 3, 2013
I listen to less new music than ever, but I still managed to put together a list of my favorite 100 songs and 25 albums from the previous year. I'm far less adventurous than I ever was, and I also love pop music more than I ever have, so that greatly influences my decisions. Top 40 is the indie rock. Or not. Who knows? All I know is that I love Flo Rida/Taylor Swift/Nikki Minaj than any weird underground jazz fusion band than I've ever heard. If that makes me a bad person, than I've made me peace with it! I didn't put too much time into this, so sorry for any spelling errors.
Anyways, if you're looking for some new tunes to enjoy while working out/dancing/doing 'it'/being alive, than take a gander at the lists below and try out some new stuff. Or don't and go listen to "Human Clay" by Creed. It's your choice people!
Top 25 Albums of 2012:
1.Passion Pit - Gossamer - An amazing album full of pop songs sounding like they're made of helium and joy, yet once you actually listen to the songs, you realize the sinister core underneath the happy pop sheen. Brilliance!
2.Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball - It's 2013 and The Boss is still making better music than most of today's acts. Bands need to get it together and just be better if Bruce is still this great.
3.Muse - The 2nd Law - More of what Muse rules at - ridiculous yet huge rock anthems about aliens and anal probes!
4.Big Wreck - Albatross - Brilliant reunion album, on par with their previous classics. We are a better world to have Big Wreck back in it.
5.Japandroids - Celebration Rock - 8 songs of pure and explosive joy. Just shut up and jump along to it.
6.Metric - Synthetica - Electronic pop-rock driven by the force of a million synthesizers, yet superbly sinister at times.
7.Cursive - I Am Gemini - Another gem of a rock album that's smarter than 99.9% of music. Cursive will never be huge, but they will always be awesome.
8.Lana Del Ray - Born to Die - Ignore the hype/backlash, this album is gorgeous pop music.
9.Paper Route - The Peace of the Wild Things - Smart, out of nowhere, pop songs that cling to you.
10.Teenage Bottlerocket - Freak Out! - Every song sounds similar, but for good reason - just awesome.
11.The Early November - In Currents - Another great reunion album - quiet/loud done to catchy goodness.
12.Bloc Party - Four - Weirdly dark and loud, yet another great album from my favorite band.
13.Eve 6 - Speak in Code - I dont care if it's not 2001, I love GREAT pop-punk songs.
14.Matt & Kim - Lightning - Another album full of pure fun - always a treat from a consistently awesome band.
15.Abandoned Pools - Sublime Currency - Weird/moody/dark pop rock from the dudes that wrote such classics as the "Clone High Theme Song".
16.The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten - Still up in Bruce Springsteen's nuts, but still really good.
17.Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror - Angry dance pop rock music that makes your head dance/bleed.
18.Santigold - Master of My Make Believe - Eclectic pop that didn't get nearly the respect it deserved this year.
19.Deftones - Koi No Yokan - Angry sex anthems for 2012! Deftones are stupidly consistent in making great albums.
20.The Killers - Battle Born - Over the top huge rock songs that have always made me happy, and likely always will.
21.The Lumineers - The Lumineers - The bluegrass thing won't go away, but when it sounds this good, I'm fine with it.
22.Mumford and Sons - Babel - See above, just not quite as good.
23.BOB - Strange Clouds - Pure bubblegum pop rap with little substance, but it works for me!
24.The Hives - Lex Hives - Hives = always great. Put on a white and black suit and just deal with it.
25.GOOD MUSIC - Cruel Summer - I'd rather have another solo Kanye album, but still some great tracks.
Top 100 Songs of 2012:
1. Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built (4:50)
2. Capital Cities - Safe and Sound (3:13)
3. Sleigh Bells - Comeback Kid (3:00)
4. Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle (3:55)
5. Passion Pit - Take a Walk (4:24)
6. Bloc Party - Kettling (3:41)
7. Santigold - Disparate Youth (4:44)
8. The Lumineers - Ho Hey (2:43)
9. A Silent Film - Danny, Dakota and The Wishing Well (4:45)
10. Flo Rida - Good Feeling (4:07)
11. The Big Pink - Hit The Ground (Superman) (4:56)
12. Abandoned Pools - Hype Is The Enemy (3:41)
13. Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools (Drank) [Extended Version] (5:13)
14. Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait (4:36)
15. The Killers - Runaways (4:05)
16. Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (3:01)
17. The Rolling Stones - Doom And Gloom (3:58)
18. Big Wreck - Albatross (4:14)
19. EVE 6 - Curtain (4:03)
20. Matt & Kim - Let's Go (3:30)
21. Linkin Park - Burn It Down (3:51)
22. Muse - Survival (4:17)
23. Nicki Minaj - Starships (3:30)
24. Cursive - Eulogy for No Name (4:12)
25. The Walkmen - Heartbreaker (3:16)
26. Kid Cudi - Just What I Am (feat. King Chip) (3:48)
27. WZRD - Teleport 2 Me, Jamie (Feat. Desire) (3:58)
28. Ke$ha - Die Young (3:33)
29. Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (4:04)
30. Calvin Harris - Feel So Close (3:28)
31. Deftones - Entombed (4:59)
32. Bruce Springsteen - Death To My Hometown (3:28)
33. Lana Del Rey - Radio (3:34)
34. Young Empires - White Doves (3:49)
35. Kid Cudi - Creepers (3:14)
36. Motion City Soundtrack - Timelines (4:05)
37. The Tragically Hip - We Want to Be It (3:28)
38. Big Wreck - All Is Fair (5:08)
39. Metric - Breathing Underwater (3:56)
40. Kanye West/Big Sean/Jay-Z - Clique (4:53)
41. Muse - Madness (4:39)
42. Dragonette - Let it Go (3:32)
43. Bloc Party - Day Four (4:11)
44. The Royal Concept - In The End (5:30)
45. Cursive - This House Alive (4:12)
46. Metric - Youth Without Youth (4:17)
47. Deadmau5 - The Veldt [8 Minute Edit] (8:25)
48. Gotye - Eyes Wide Open (3:11)
49. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball (5:49)
50. Flo Rida - Wild Ones (feat. Sia) (3:54)
51. Billy Talent - Viking Death March (4:03)
52. Gallows - Mondo Chaos (2:37)
53. The Hives - 1000 Answers (2:07)
54. Garbage - Blood For Poppies (3:38)
55. Hot Chip - Night And Day (4:30)
56. Lostprophets - A Little Reminder That I'll Never Forget (4:18)
57. The Early November - A Stain On The Carpet (3:32)
58. Paper Route - Love Letters (3:40)
59. The Gaslight Anthem - "45" (3:24)
60. Every Time I Die - Indian Giver (4:10)
61. Matt & Kim - It's Alright (3:23)
62. Crystal Castles - Plague (4:55)
63. Mumford & Sons - Holland Road (4:13)
64. Fun. - We Are Young (Feat. Janelle Monae) (4:09)
65. Deftones - Poltergeist (3:31)
66. Matt Mays - Indio (4:17)
67. Bloc Party - Octopus (3:05)
68. Muse - Save Me (5:08)
69. Lana Del Rey - Video Games (4:41)
70. B.o.B - Out Of My Mind (3:43)
71. Civil Twilight - Fire Escape (3:40)
72. Paper Route - Sugar (4:18)
73. NOFX - Cell Out (2:02)
74. Passion Pit - Carried Away (3:41)
75. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Heart Attack (3:51)
76. Owl City - Good Time (3:22)
77. Teenage Bottlerocket - Headbanger (1:59)
78. B.o.B - So Good (3:34)
79. Two Door Cinema Club - Sleep Alone (3:56)
80. Santigold - The Keepers (3:34)
81. Teenage Bottlerocket - Punk House of Horror (1:35)
82. The Royal Concept - Gimme Twice (3:26)
83. Abandoned Pools - Sublime Currency (3:55)
84. The Early November - Tell Me Why (3:46)
85. Enter Shikari - Constellations (5:01)
86. Matt Skiba And The Sekrets - Voices (3:25)
87. Bad Veins - Don't Run (3:46)
88. Japandroids - Fire's Highway (4:44)
89. The Killers - Flesh and Bone (3:58)
90. The Gaslight Anthem - Here Comes My Man (3:35)
91. Mewithoutyou - Cardiff Giant (3:43)
92. The Lumineers - Classy Girls (2:45)
93. The Shins - Simple Song (4:14)
94. Cancer Bats - Road Sick (2:51)
95. Wintersleep - In Came the Flood (3:33)
96. Foxy Shazam - (It's) Too Late Baby (4:01)
97. Walk The Moon - Anna Sun (5:21)
98. Two Door Cinema Club - Sun (3:07)
99. Benjamin Gibbard - Dream Song (3:33)
100. Yellowcard - Telescope (3:52)
Monday, January 9, 2012
PS: I have no idea why I still make these lists, it's a weird OCD thing that I pretty much HAVE to do, even if I kind of don't want to. Weird.
PPS: If you haven't heard some/all of this music, then go find it. It's the internet, Google will provide you with anything you need.
Top 25 Albums:
1.Matthew Good - Lights of Endangered Species - Far more musically diverse and denser sounding then recent stuff, this was a real grower for me. At first I wasn't overly enamored with it, but the more I listened to it (especially when I experienced most of the songs live), the more I fell in love with it. Just an amazing record from an amazing musician.
2.Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday - The original lineup reunites and creates a great album, the formula's still the same, but it's a formula I love//explosive and catchy.
3.Awolnation - Megalithic Symphony - Out of nowhere, I couldn't stop listening to this disc ("Sail" is so different from the rest, oddly enough) & its one of the more original and diverse albums of 2011.
4.Low Level Flight - Through These Walls - The lead singer is the first winner of "Canadian Idol", yet this band's debut album is full of great songs, from start to finish. If you loved The Stills like I did, definitely check this out.
5.Cold War Kids - Mine is Yours - Rebounding from a blah second album, "Mine is Yours" is a wonderfully upbeat and catchy album. Powerful and emotional without being overdrawn and loud, it's a great record.
6.Yellowcard - When You're Done Thinking Say Yes - I've always loved Yellowcard, and this is their best disc since "Ocean Avenue". Glad to see the hiatus did them some good, as they've re-found whatever made them great in the first place.
7.British Sea Power - Valhalla Dancehall - Noisy and buzzy rock and roll. Less anthemic then their last disc, but just as brilliant in its transitions from quiet to loud parts and catchy moments.
8.TV On the Radio - Nine Types of Light - TVOTR always deliver, and even if this isn't their best disc, it's still full of weird yet brain rattling catchy awesome music.
9.Deathcab for Cutie - Codes and Keys - Catchy and fun, just like all their other stuff, news of a DCFC album is always good news to me.
10.Foo Fighters - Wasting Light - The Foos have been a favorite for years, and this disc is their best since the 90's, no surprise I liked it so much.
11.USS - Approved - It's an EP I know, but when every song is as great as the songs on this one, it deserves consideration for your favorite albums of the year. Per minute, probably the best album of the year. Short and sweet.
12.Drake - Take Care - My favorite rap album of the year (which doesn't say much),
13.The Lonely Island - Turtleneck and Chain - Awesome and hilarious, these guys never fail to make me laugh/love music.
14.Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Self Titled - I've never been a big "Oasis" fan, but I love Noel's debut solo album, each song is a fun ride that's nostalgic but not overbearingly so (RE:Anything Liam Gallagher writes).
15.Jay Z and Kanye West - Watch the Throne - Indulgence personified sure, but as polarizing as it is, it works for me at least.
16.Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials - Her voice is so haunting, and the songs are just so good. Deserves all the praise they get.
17.M83 - Midnight City - A typical double album, as good as some of the songs can be, there's always a good chunk of sub-par filler. Still a beautiful listen though.
18.Thrice - Major/Minor - A good swansong to a band I've loved for awhile now, it's a shame they're done, because clearly they can still make interesting music.
19.Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto - The best Coldplay album since "A Rush of Blood to the Head", which depending on who you are, is a great or awful thing.
20.Horrors - Skying - Moody and slow droning rock that completely betrays their punkier roots, it's a great album to lose track of time to.
21.Thursday - No Devolutcion - Moodier then previous outings, creating a really dark atmosphere, yet still catchy at points.
22.Sum 41 - Screaming Bloody Murder - This disc shocked the hell of out me, apparently divorce is good for business, since this album is packed with raw and angry greatness.
23.Cold Cave - Cherish the Light Years - The best 80's synth album in 20 years. Ice cold//haunting.
24.The Dears - Degeneration Street - As always, lengthy and dense rock and roll. I love the Dears, even if they've never blown up beyond Canadian television commercials.
25.Black Keys - El Camino - Mostly on the strength of 3-4 excellent songs (that will be all over the radio soon enough), it's another great blues/rock album.
Top 100 Songs:
1. Grouplove - Colours (4:17)
2. M83 - Midnight City (4:02)
3. Matthew Good - Zero Orchestra (4:45)
4. Crystal Castles Feat. Robert Smith - Not in Love (3:46)
5. The Black Keys - Lonely Boy (3:13)
6. Low Level Flight - Cash Machine (4:55)
7. The Naked And Famous - Young Blood (4:06)
8. The Horrors - Still Life (5:21)
9. LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem (Feat. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock) (4:34)
10. Awolnation - Sail (4:19)
11. Cold War Kids - Flying Upside Down (4:18)
12. White Lies - The Power & The Glory (5:13)
13. The Lonely Island - I Just Had Sex feat. Akon (2:46)
14. Childish Gambino - Bonfire (3:14)
15. Adele - Rolling In The Deep (3:49)
16. Face to Face - It's Not All About You (3:02)
17. Thursday - Sparks Against the Sun (4:45)
18. TV On The Radio - Second Song (4:22)
19. Matt & Kim Feat. Soulja Boy & Andrew WK - I'm A Goner (3:30)
20. Jay-Z and Kanye West - Otis (featuring Otis Redding) (2:58)
21. Awolnation - Knights of Shame (14:56)
22. LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It (3:19)
23. Noel Gallagher - If I Had A Gun... (4:09)
24. The Sounds - The Best Of Me (4:48)
25. Taking Back Sunday - This Is All Now (4:03)
26. Low Level Flight - Raining Castles (4:05)
27. Drake - Headlines (3:27)
28. British Sea Power - Mongk II (4:48)
29. Chiddy Bang - Opposite of Adults (3:15)
30. Cut Copy - Need You Now (6:09)
31. Coldplay - Paradise (4:37)
32. Yoav - Where Is My Mind? (feat. Emily Browning) (6:11)
33. Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker - 01 Yo Hello Hooray (Everyday) (3:44)
34. Matthew Good - Lights of Endangered Species (4:22)
35. Fitz and the Tantrums - MoneyGrabber (3:09)
36. Thrice - Disarmed (4:45)
37. The Features - From Now On (3:21)
38. Florence and The Machine - 03 - What The Water Gave Me (5:33)
39. Foster The People - Houdini (3:23)
40. The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires And Wolves) (3:45)
41. The Damned Things - We've Got A Situation Here (4:28)
42. Death Cab for Cutie - Underneath the Sycamore (3:26)
43. Cold War Kids - Mine Is Yours (4:16)
44. Arkells - Michigan Left (3:26)
45. Foo Fighters - These Days (4:58)
46. Taking Back Sunday - Faith (When I Let You Down) (3:08)
47. Angels & Airwaves - Saturday Love (4:20)
48. Sum 41 - Screaming Bloody Murder (3:24)
49. Grouplove - Tongue Tied (3:38)
50. Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down (3:31)
51. Blink-182 - Up All Night (3:19)
52. Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Pull Out My Insides (4:07)
53. Yellowcard - Be The Young (3:56)
54. The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream (3:58)
55. Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall (4:00)
56. Grouplove - Itchin' On A Photograph (4:19)
57. Switchfoot - Souvenirs (4:15)
58. Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math (5:05)
59. Peter, Bjorn and John - Tomorrow Has To Wait (2:57)
60. ††† (Crosses) - Op†ion (4:25)
61. Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker - 04 Prefontaine (3:32)
62. Forever The Sickest Kids - Robots & Aliens (3:12)
63. Jay-Z and Kanye West - Niggas in Paris (3:39)
64. MUTEMATH - Blood Pressure (3:03)
65. The Vaccines - All in white (4:33)
66. Foster The People - Helena Beat (4:36)
67. Death Cab for Cutie - You Are a Tourist (4:46)
68. Noel Gallagher - The Death Of You And Me (3:29)
69. Matthew Good - What if I Can't See the Stars Mildred? (5:10)
70. Innerpartysystem - American Trash (4:46)
71. The Lonely Island - Jack Sparrow feat. Michael Bolton (3:07)
72. Drake - Underground Kings (3:33)
73. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie (4:42)
74. Yellowcard - Sing For Me (3:54)
75. Taking Back Sunday - Call Me In The Morning (3:59)
76. Middle Class Rut - New Low (4:16)
77. Angels & Airwaves - Surrender (4:30)
78. British Sea Power - Heavy Water (3:39)
79. Switchfoot - Restless (5:17)
80. The Living End - Universe (3:45)
81. Cold Cave - Pacing Around The Church (3:26)
82. Bayside - Sick, Sick, Sick (3:34)
83. The Dears - 5 Chords (3:33)
84. The Black Keys - Run Right Back (3:17)
85. White Lies - Is Love (4:52)
86. Arkells - Kiss Cam (3:43)
87. Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow (3:37)
88. Arctic Monkeys - Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair (3:03)
89. Dredg - Kalathat (3:22)
90. MUTEMATH - In No Time (4:52)
91. The Airborne Toxic Event - Welcome to Your Wedding (3:40)
92. The Dears - Omega Dog (5:01)
93. Kanye West & Jay-Z - H.A.M. (4:37)
94. Mates of State - At Least I Have You (3:34)
95. The Horrors - Moving Further Away (8:34)
96. The Lonely Island - The Creep feat. Nicki Minaj & John Waters (2:39)
97. Skrillex - Kill Everybody (Original Mix) (4:57)
98. Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness (4:13)
99. TV On The Radio - No Future Shock (4:03)
100. Hard-Fi - Give It Up (4:34)
Monday, April 4, 2011
DRUGS – Sex Life – Goofy name, catchy song.
Innerpartysystem – American Trash – Sleazy electro rock American pride!
Middle Class Rut – New Low – Slow/methodical rock – oddly catchy.
Middle Class Rut – USA – Pure bombast. Loud and awesome!
Say Hi – Take Ya Dancing – Upbeat/simple fun. About dancing.
Say Hi – All the Pretty Ones – Chorus works excellently – moody pop-rock!
Does It Offend You Yeah? - Tear Out My Insides – Insanely catchy electronic love song.
Cant find a stream – sorry!
Does it Offend You Yeah? – We Are the Dead – Starts quiet, gets loud quickly.
Teenage Bottlerocket – Bigger Than Kiss – Punk rock perfection. AMAZING video.
Teenage Bottlerocket – Not Ok – More punk rock perfection. Superb.
Forever the Sickest Kids – Robots and Aliens – Stupidly catch pop punk. Bubbly.
Forever the Sickest Kids – Same Dumb Excuse – Slower still as poppy/catchy.
Yoav (featuring Emily Browning) – Where is My Mind (from The Sucker Punch OST) – Hauntingly good cover. Better then the original.
USS – NA OK – Slow downed, yet still great.
Bjork (featuring Skunk Anansie)– Army of Me (SUCKER PUNCH REMIX) – More Sucker Punch! Great OST.
Thursday, March 3, 2011
White Lies – Power and the Glory – Hell of a builder. Starts off slow and builds to something huge. I think I listened to this song 15 times straight when I first “got” it.
Cold War Kids – Mine is Yours – I could have picked about 5 songs off this album of the year contender, but this sunny opener really struck a chord with me, it just makes me feel happy.
Cold War Kids – Flying Upside Down - CWK really went for it on the new album, and traded in some of their less interesting traits and went for EPIC. Love this song, it’s going to be one of my favourites by the end of the year.
Fitz and the Tantrums – Moneygrabber – The rest of the album was bland to me, but this first single is blowing up everywhere, for good reason – the chrous gets me every time
Gang of Four - She Said 'You Made A Thing Of Me' – Wasn’t a huge fan of the album, but this song caught my attention enough to get some plays. Shockingly boring album from the post-punk legends.
Skrillex – Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites (Original Mix) – The term dubstep gets tossed around a lot, and I’ll be honest I have no clue what it means, but it’s amazing that Sonny Moore went from the bland-screamo of From First to Last, to making this insane/catchy/spastic electronic music.
Skrillex – Kill Everybody (Original Mix) – More menacing then the last song (as the title would suggest), but equally as interesting and catchy.
Wiz Khalifa – Black and Yellow – What can I say, this song is so catchy it caught even me. Mock it, but there’s a reason why it got so big.
Naked and Famous – Punching in a Dream – Much like last month’s “Young Blood”, this song is spastic yet dreamy, and stupidly catchy pop-rock, from this poorly named band.
Peter, Bjorn, and John – Tomorrow Has to Wait – Remember “Young Folks”? More of the same, minus the whistling – just great pop music.
Bo Burnham – Words Words Words – Bo is a comedian that also dabbles in music, and everything I’ve heard has been both catchy and hilarious. May not be to everyone’s taste, but if you like this kind of stuff, you’ll love it.
Bo Burnham – Oh Bo – More play on words and rhyming joke rap stuff, I love it. The genius is in how simplistically catchy it is while still being funny.
Local Natives – World News – Their disc was really well done, but it tends to blend together with a lot of the songs sounding similar, for whatever reason, this is the one that stood out for me. Give them a listen!
British Sea Power – Mongk 2 – More frantic/distorted/chaotic then the rest of their stuff, it’s still a superb song.
British Sea Power – Heavy Water – It’s a shame I can’t find a link for this song, since it’s the best on the album, a feel good closer to a huge and amazing album.
Couldnt Find a Link – Drats!
Bayside – Sick Sick Sick – Perfect example of what Bayside does, and how they do it so well. Catchy charging rock with unique vocals and great guitar lines.
Bayside – Mona Lisa – More slowed down, but just as fun. Bayside have been one of the most reliable bands in recent years. Four albums since 2007 and all of them ranging from good to extroardinary.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Hey, this is a toned down version of what I used to do; a monthly list of songs people may or may not like or even be aware of. Each month
In no order, here are the songs I listened to the most in January 2011:
Get Busy Committee – I Don’t Care About You – I blame Blake. Listen at your own risk, as it’ll infect your brain for a while. Ridiculously catchy hip-hop.
Kanye West and Jay Z – H.A.M. – Vulgar as anything I’ve heard in awhile, but the beats unique/catchy, and anything Kanye does is worth multiple listens in my book.
The Naked and Famous – Young Blood – Mix MGMT with M83 and you’ve got this song. Which is awesome. Fantasy-pop?
Crystal Castles – Not In Love (FEAT. Robert Smith) – Another relentlessly catchy song that’s blowing up all over rock stations, for a good reason. Great song.
Chiddy Bang – Opposite of Adults – Note to rappers, if you rap over an indie/rock song I love (See: Lupe Fiasco “Show Goes On”) it’s guaranteed to be a hit with me. Is there no end to the greatness that is MGMT’s Kids?
White Lies – Bigger Than Us – Grandiose and gothic epic rock. Think Interpol, but British and more consistent/great in the last 4 years.
White Lies – Is Love – Bit of a slow builder, but just as great as the first single (the previously mentioned “Bigger Than Us”) – so far
Finch – World of Violence – A good song by a “good at best” band, who released a great album nearly ten years ago. RIP FINCH.
Glassjaw – All Good Junkies Go To Heaven – Off their upcoming album, its oddly catchy, in a weird/grating kind of way. Works for me, probably wont for most people.
The Hold Steady – The Weekenders – How did I sleep on “Heaven is Whenever” last year? It’s a great album and this is my favourite song off the album.
The Hold Steady – Hurricane J – Another great single off the album, THS are kind of like a wordier, perpetually drunk cousin of Bruce Springsteen.
Death Death Die – The Woodsman – It’s a shame I cannot find a link to this song. It’s the perfect synth-metal theme song for an 80’s cheesy horror film.
Death Death Die – Put
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross – In the Hall of the Mountain King – If you haven’t seen “The Social Network,” go out and do it, since the film’s great, and the score is even better. If you have seen it, then this is the song that’s over the boat race scene in
The Damned Things – We’ve Got a Situation Here – What do you get when you mix members of Fallout Boy, Everytime I Die, and Anthrax? A great song, with a superb video- make sure to watch it!
Cage the Elephant – Shake Me Down – Kind of tame and quiet for CTF, but its sombre tone is a change of pace, and I’ve liked this single for as long as I’ve heard it on the radio.
Cage the Elephant –
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Top 25 Albums of 2010
1. The Arcade Fire - The Suburbs - By far and a way the best album this year. Easily my favourite this year, and one of my favourite albums ever. You either love them or hate them, so I won't even try explaining it, either you already know how awesome it is, or hate them based on one song you heard 2 years ago. Whatever, it's perfect in my eyes. Argument starter: "The Suburbs" is their best album! GASP!
2. Kanye West - My Dark Twisted Beautiful Fantasy - Artist of the year, for sure, even for his awesome rants and twitter feed. Plus it helps that Kanye makes rap music for people who hate rap, and damn if it isn't great stuff.
3. Kid Cudi - Man on Moon 2 - It's not quite rap, not quite rock, not quite R&B. It's a hard thing to nail down, and I didnt love it at first, but it's a real grower, and an album you can listen to front to back over and over.
4. Matt & Kim - Sidewalks - Pure poppy fun. Simple, yet original. Every song is a 2-4 minute long blast of pop rock fun. Love this album, it makes me happy as a hobo in a whore-house.
5. Crime In Stereo - I Was Trying to Describe You to Someone - A hell of a swan song. CiS wrote their best album yet, and then broke up within a year of putting it out. Quiet-Loud perfection.
6. Jimmy Eat World - Invented - At this point, I love any JEW album, even if they follow a fairly strict formula. That said, the second half of this album is great, and the first part is full of great pop-rock tunes.
7. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles 2 - Give Crystal Castles a listen (any of the songs listed in my 100 songs), if you can stand more then 30 seconds, you'll love the album. If you can't, don't even bother to try.
8. Klaxons - Surfing the Void - Don't you hate asinine genres like "Nu-Rave"? Yeah me too, and so do the Klaxons. Thankfully this album is an amazing mix of prog, metal, electronic, and awesomeness. Heavy at times, catchy at others, I love it.
9. The National - High Violet - Sadness and depression never sounded so uplifting. I love the vocals, and despite being so damned sorrowful (THEY HAVE A SONG TITLED SORROW ON THIS ALBUM), it somehow lifts me up every time.
10. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record - Canada's greatest jam band, who somehow make that title not douchey and awful. Another great album in an amazing discography. You can get lost in this album, its hypnotic but somehow each song stands out on it's own. Amazing live show too!
11. Against Me! - White Crosses - Not as great as "New Wave" but no one does punk rock as rocky and poppy as AM! and I love them for that. (PS: If you liked their old stuff, then yeah, I get it, you hate me for liking this album, whatever).
12. Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life - Forgot how good this was since it came out so early in the year. They've matured into a great band, poppy and rocky, with some awesome lyrics.
13. Tokyo Police Club - Champ - Have to love it when "buzz" bands live up to the hype and turn into awesome bands who put out great albums. TPC, good work.
14. The Futureheads - The Chaos - Sometimes rock and roll should just be played fast and hard. This album is proof. Nothing fancy. Just rock and roll - done quickly.
15. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening - Doesn't live up to the perfection of "Sound of Silver", but still great nonetheless. I'm not sure if it's unique or not, but nobody else does this kind of music this well.
16. Jonsi - Go - Sigur Ros goes pop/dance. Love it. Most people won't like it. Epic yet catchy, what more could I want?
17. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise - Grown up emo with some fire. Never been a huge fan, but this album is great, all the way through.
18. The Automatic - Tear the Signs Down - They toned down the abrasiveness and made their sound catchier and it worked out well; really enjoyable disc.
19. Vampire Weekend - Contra - See the note about Tokyo Police Club and hype, and magnify it by ten. Wanted to hate this album, but couldn't; it's that good.
20. Hot Chip - One life Stand - Consistently great band. More British electro-pop hustle and fire! (No clue what that means either)
21. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
22. Foals - Total Life Forever
23. My Chemical Romance - Danger Days
24. Mumford and Songs - Sigh No More
25. We Are Scientists - Barbara
1. The Whigs - Kill Me Carolyne (3:22)
2. Mumford & Sons - The Cave (3:38)
3. Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun (4:46)
4. Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On (4:00)
5. Kanye West - All Of The Lights (4:59)
6. Arcade Fire - Ready To Start (4:15)
7. Matt & Kim - Cameras (3:32)
8. The Automatic - Interstate (3:34)
9. Down With Webster - Your Man (2:48)
10. Crime in Stereo - I Am Everything I Am Not (3:56)
11. The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio (4:36)
12. We Were Promised Jetpacks - Quiet Little Voices (4:21)
13. LostProphets - Where We Belong (4:37)
14. Arcade Fire - We Used To Wait (5:01)
15. Broken Social Scene - Meet Me in the Basement (3:44)
16. Against Me! - I Was a Teenage Anarchist (3:13)
17. Alkaline Trio - This Addiction (2:34)
18. I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business - Baby Steps (3:17)
19. Crystal Castles - Empathy (4:11)
20. LCD Soundsystem - You Wanted A Hit (9:12)
21. The Futureheads - Sun Goes Down (3:52)
22. Jimmy Eat World - Mixtape (6:31)
23. Jónsi - Around Us (5:18)
24. Klaxons - Venusia (4:07)
25. Crime in Stereo - Drugwolf (3:53)
26. Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) (5:25)
27. The Automatic - Sweat Heat Noise (3:20)
28. Angels & Airwaves - Young London (5:03)
29. The Chemical Brothers - Escape Velocity (11:56)
30. Linkin Park - Blackout (4:39)
31. Kanye West - Power (4:52)
32. Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man (4:07)
33. Matt & Kim - Good For Great (3:50)
34. The Gaslight Anthem - We Did It When We Were Young (4:16)
35. Wolf Parade - Ghost Pressure (5:16)
36. Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em (2:56)
37. My Chemical Romance - Planetary (GO!) (4:06)
38. Kanye West - Runaway (feat. Pusha T) (9:07)
39. Kid Cudi - Mr. Rager (4:54)
40. Tokyo Police Club - Favourite Food (3:55)
41. Crystal Castles - Celestica (3:47)
42. The National - Sorrow (3:25)
43. Jimmy Eat World - Higher Devotion (3:02)
44. Deftones - Rocket Skates (4:12)
45. Teddybears - Chrystal Meth Christian (Feat Flaming Lips)
46. Holy Fuck - Stilettos (3:55)
47. Hot Chip - I Feel Better (4:41)
48. Anberlin - You Belong Here (4:22)
49. Arcade Fire - Rococo (3:56)
50. Kid Cudi - Marijuana (4:20)
51. 30H!3 - R.I.P. (3:44)
52. B.o.B - Airplanes (feat. Hayley Williams of Paramore) (3:01)
53. The Audition - The Art Of Living (3:00)
54. Mumford & Sons - Winter Winds (3:39)
55. The Futureheads - Heartbeat Song (2:29)
56. Motion City Soundtrack - Pulp Fiction (3:53)
57. Foals - Total Life Forever (3:18)
58. Kings Of Leon - Radioactive (3:26)
59. Vampire Weekend - Cousins (2:25)
60. LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean (8:58)
61. Stars - Dead Hearts (3:29)
62. Tokyo Police Club - Bambi (2:46)
63. Interpol - Lights (5:37)
64. Jimmy Eat World - Evidence (4:40)
65. Arcade Fire - Half Light II (No Celebration) (4:27)
66. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang (3:41)
67. Circa Survive - I Felt Free (3:56)
68. My Chemical Romance - DESTROYA (4:32)
69. Broken Social Scene - Texico Bitches (3:50)
70. OK Go - This Too Shall Pass (3:08)
71. Devo - What We Do (3:17)
72. Tokyo Police Club - Breakneck Speed (3:44)
73. Circa Survive - Glass Arrows (4:12)
74. Klaxons - The Same Space (3:11)
75. My Chemical Romance - Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na) (3:25)
76. Down With Webster - Miracle Mile (3:39)
77. Matt & Kim - Silver Tiles (3:36)
78. Kanye West - Lost In The World (feat. Bon Iver) (4:16)
79. Broken Social Scene - Sentimental X's (5:41)
80. Kate Nash - Paris (3:06)
81. Crystal Castles - Baptism (4:12)
82. Stars - Fixed (3:25)
83. The Bravery - Hatefuck (2:56)
84. Far - Deafening (3:10)
85. Linkin Park - The Catalyst (5:39)
86. Terrible Things - Revolution (3:30)
87. Weezer - Ruling Me (3:29)
88. We Are Scientists - Pittsburgh (4:27)
89. Forever The Sickest Kids - Do Or Die (3:17)
90. Senses Fail - Landslide (3:45)
91. Jónsi - Animal Arithmetic (3:23)
92. Jimmy Eat World - My Best Theory (3:23)
93. Kele - Tenderoni (4:32)
94. The Maine - Dont Stop Now (3:36)
95. Enter Shikari - Tribalism (5:05)
96. Foals - Black Gold (6:26)
97. Hawthorne Heights - Drive (3:06)
98. Athlete - Superhuman Touch (3:58)
99. I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business - Sleep Means Sleeping (4:37)
100. Interpol - Barricade (4:10)